SWEET APPAM - Instant version with video- Easy recipe for Kaarthigai, Avani Avittam and Krishna Jayanthi
It's time to celebrate Krishna's birthday again. Gokulashtami falls on Sep 5th and Krishna Jayanthi ( Panjarathra Jayanthi) falls on 6th September 2015. Indians celebrate the Lord with pomp and distribute sweets among each other to honour his birth day. This year is very special to all of us at home with the arrival of our baby girl and we are all eager to celebrate the joyous occasion with her.
Indian festivals and sweets are synonymous to each other. I am sharing with you an easy version of Sweet Appam that can be prepared for any festival. These Appams have a pillow soft core and a nice crispy texture on its exterior. The same recipe can be adopted for the occasion of Avani Avittam and Karthigai as well..
Preparation Time: 35 min
Cooking Time: 45 min
Recipe Level : Medium
Recipe Category: Sweet
Cuisine: South Indian
Yield: 15 Medium or 20 Small
- 1 1/4 cup Jaggery powder
- 1 cup wheat flour
- 1/4 cup rice flour ( store bought)
- 4 tbsp chopped Coconut pieces/ grated
- 1 tsp Sesame seeds
- 1 tsp Cardamom powder
- a pinch of cooking soda
- 1 tsp Semolina
- 2 tbsp Ghee
- Oil for frying
- 1 ripe banana ( optional)
- Soak Jaggery in water for 30 mins.
- Water level should be 1 cm above jaggery.
- Dissolve well and filter to remove impurities. Need not boil.
- Add all the dry ingredients to the jaggery water.
- If you prefer using banana, mash and mix it too.
- Mix well to make a thick yet pourable batter.
- Heat oil + ghee in a Kadai and keep the flame low always.
- Spoon the batter one at a time. The moment the batter is completely in contact with the oil, keep pouring the hot oil over the exposed surface.
- The batter will raise like a bubble in the center. This indicates that the bottom is cooked.
- Now flip over and cook the top and until the edges form a deep brown ring.
- Drain on to paper towel.
- Repeat the same process. You will roughly need 3-4 mins to prepare each Appam.
- Cool well and store in an airtight container.
- It will stay for 3 days.