SALTED CARAMEL ICE CREAM WITH SALTED CARAMEL DRIZZLE
"Ice-cream is cheaper than therapy"...
I am not going to run you all through the role of ice creams in cutting down summer heat. We are straight away heading to the recipe.
There are three steps to prepare this ice cream. First is to make the egg-less custard base. Second, is to prepare the salted caramel sauce and third is to blend the salted caramel sauce into the custard and set until frozen.
Preparation time : 2 min
Cooking time: 25 min
Freezing time: 8 hrs plus
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 28 g||44 %|
|Saturated Fat 17 g||86 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 100 mg||33 %|
|Sodium 373 mg||16 %|
|Potassium 57 mg||2 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 34 g||11 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0 g||0 %|
|Sugars 33 g|
|Protein 1 g||3 %|
|Vitamin A||78 %|
|Vitamin C||0 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
SALTED CARAMEL SAUCE
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4-5 tbsp butter
- 1/2 cup heavy cream
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- Add sugar to a thick bottomed or non stick pan kept on low heat.
- Let the sugar melt completely and turn into a deep amber.
- Give a close watch and do not walk away from the stove. Else, the sugar will burn.
- Once you reach this stage turn off the flame and add butter. You will observe that it will boil rapidly.
- If it clumps together whisk quickly and it will get incorporated.
- Put it back on flame and let it cook for a minute or two.
- Step back again and gently pour the heavy cream into the mixture and you will again bubble up.
- Mix well and remove from heat. Add salt, vanilla and set aside.
- When warm, transfer into a clean glass jar and store in the refrigerator 10 weeks.
- Thaw and reheat in microwave when you want to use as caramel solidifies in the refrigerator.
SALTED CARAMEL ICE-CREAM BASE
- 300 ml cold Heavy cream
- 300 ml Full cream milk
- 1/2 cup full cream condensed milk
- 1.5 tbsp corn starch ( dissolved in 20 ml milk)
- 1 tsp Vanilla extract
- 50 ml Salted Caramel sauce
- Boil milk in a thick vessel.
- When it gently bubbles add the cream and condensed milk.
- Let it cook for few minutes.
- Add the dissolved corn starch and cook for 3-4 minutes.
- Immediately strain it to remove any lumps.
- Stir in the vanilla and salted caramel sauce.
- Cool and transfer to a freezer safe container and freeze for 2 hours.
- Take it out and whip the cold semi frozen mix until it is fluffy and breaks off any ice crystal formation.
- Pour it back into the container and freeze for 6-8 hours or overnight.
- Scoop and serve in a cup or waffle. Drizzle some salted caramel sauce and crushed praline and serve.