KAAJU PISTA BADAM BURFI - Nutty Nutrients
One lazy afternoon, this recipe was born. This is an improvised version my mom's Signature Cashewnut burfi. Recipe here. I made a healthy mix of the most sought after Indian nuts - Cashew, Pista and Badam, infused our good old cardamom, saffron and nutmeg and cooked with sugar that resulted in a rich, royal and fudgy delight. This recipe is also a healthier way to have nuts. My toddler absolutely loved this fudge and needless to say, is kid approved. I have said it all. Lets get to the recipe straight away.
Cooking time: 15 min
Category: Sweet/ Snack
Difficulty level: Easy
Yields: 30-35 pieces
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 4 g||7 %|
|Saturated Fat 1 g||4 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 2 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 14 mg||1 %|
|Potassium 68 mg||2 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 6 g||2 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1 g||3 %|
|Sugars 4 g|
|Protein 2 g||3 %|
|Vitamin A||0 %|
|Vitamin C||0 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- 1 cup Cashew/ Kaaju/ Mundhiri
- 1 cup Badam/ Almonds
- 1/2 cup Pistachio/ Pista
- 2- 2 1/2 cup coarse granulated raw sugar
- 7-8 cardamoms pitted
- 10-12 strands of Saffron
- 1/5th tsp nutmeg
- 1 tsp+ 1 tsp ghee / clarified butter
- Grease a tray with 1 tsp ghee and set aside.
- In a mixer pulse the nuts, cardamom, saffron and nutmeg into a coarse powder. Remember not to grind it too fine.
- Some bits here and there are totally welcome.
- In a thick bottomed vessel add sugar with just enough water to submerge it and cook to reach the single-string stage.
- Add the ground nut mix into the syrup and take care to mix as you do to prevent lump formation.
- When the mix is even and well incorporated, increase the heat and cook further until the mix can gather itself into a smooth rolling mass.
- Add 1 tsp of ghee and mix again
- Quickly transfer this mixture to the greased tray. It will start solidifying as you drop it onto the tray.
- The remains that stick to the ladle will settle down and can be rolled into a soft ball. If you get this, you have got it right.
- Wait until the heat goes down and cut into desired shape when still warm.
- Cool and store in an airtight container. Keeps well for 5 days.