APPLE RICE - PERFECT FOR A POTLUCK
Hello everyone.I am back after a short break. Last few weeks have been really hectic with the arrival of a little one in the family. While I am enjoying motherhood, getting adjusted with the new routine has been on my top priority list and I am trying to get better and better at it everyday.
The "Bundle of Joy" has bought in so much happiness to our family members that words can't express. Since our Little Princess arrived, the desire to do everything "right" for her has put in lot of pressure (optimal though) on my husband and me as new parents that we are enjoying for sure. Being new Mom and Dad has definitely changed our lives for good.
The new status gives us great pleasure and with this note I would like to share this Apple Rice recipe which is very close to my husband's heart. The recipe source is from his aunt "Kamala Athai" whom he is very much attached to.
The principal flavour imparting agent in this recipe are the Granny Smith Apples or Green Apples. Green Apples are said to have originated from Australia and named after a cultivar named Granny Smith. The advent of this Apple is celebrated annually as the Granny Smith Festival in Australia. Click here to know more. Ok. Why GS? The reason being these are really crunchy, juicy and have a mild tart taste. The light green colour is inviting and blends well with the Southern spices when cooked.
Preparation Time: 5 mins Cooking Time: 20 mins Serves: 4
Cuisine: Main course Cooking Level : Easy Spice Level : Mild
Cuisine style : Indo-Western adapted to a South Indian style
Recipe Source: Kamala Athai
- 2 cups of Basmathi / Sona Massuri/ or any long grained rice
- 2 Granny Smith Apples cut into juliennes
- a fistful of peanuts
- a fistful of cashewnuts halved
- 1/2 tsp Urad dhal
- 1/2 tsp Channa dhal
- 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
- a generous sprinkle of asafoetida
- 3 to 4 Kashmiri red chillies
- 1 tbsp Curry Masala powder/ any Masala powder ( optional)
- 2 tbsp of desiccated /fresh grated coconut
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp of ghee
- 2 to 3 tbsp of cooking oil
- Wash and pressure cook/ open cook the rice until the grains are well cooked and separated flowery enough. Spread it on a plate and set aside.
- In a Kadai /pan heat 1 tsp of ghee and fry the peanuts and cashews until they turn golden. Keep this aside.
- Heat oil in the same pan. Add Mustard seeds. When it crackles add Urad dhal, Channa dhal and Red Chillies and fry until fragrant and golden.
- Now add the Apple juliennes and stir well. Sprinkle asafoetida. Add salt to taste and cook until the Apples soften. Sprinkle a dash of Masala powder now and give a stir.
- Next add the desiccated/grated coconut and finally add the cooked rice in small batches and mix to combine well. Close the pan with a lid and cook for a minute or two.
- Switch off and top it up with the roasted Cashew nuts and peanuts before serving.
- Serve hot with Potato chips, Appalam or any other crisps.
This comment has been removed by the author.ReplyDelete
Wow Sowmi!!! "Apple rice" that sounds so new !!!... I wanna try this for sure!! will inbox u my experience soon....ReplyDelete
innovative n tempting rice recipeReplyDelete
Thank you JayanthyDelete
Nice one.will try.ReplyDelete
Very different one. looks so yum :))ReplyDelete
Ongoing event: http://easyandsimplefoods.blogspot.com/2014/11/first-blog-anniversary-and-giveaway.html
Happy Parenting!!!!Apple rice sounds interesting and tempting dear!!!ReplyDelete
Thank you FarinDelete
Congrats,Soumya..God bless u all esp the li'l princess..yummy tangy rice perfect to celebrate :)ReplyDelete
Than you buddyDelete
I have never tried apple rice before. I would love to give it a try. :)ReplyDelete
Thanks Ritu, do try and let me know how it turned out.Delete
this looks so yum....ReplyDelete
Thank you SmithaDelete
Congrats on the little bundle of joy... girls are always a light to the family... enjoy your time! The rice sounds different and delicious...ReplyDelete
Thank you Rafeeda.Delete
Healthy & different rice recipe.............surely try this.ReplyDelete
Thanks Shobha. Do try and feedback me.Delete