Prefixing "Homemade" sounded a cliche to me. That said, I am also not going to make you go through as to what jam means or what are the benefits of making a homemade version as everyone knows what jam is. Hence, off to the recipe.
Preparation time: 5 min
Cooking time: 20 min
Category: Accompaniment, Preserve
Recipe Level: Easy
Spice Level : Sweet
Yield: 400 gm
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 0 g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0 g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 2 mg||0 %|
|Potassium 35 mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 18 g||6 %|
|Dietary Fiber 0 g||2 %|
|Sugars 17 g|
|Protein 0 g||0 %|
|Vitamin A||0 %|
|Vitamin C||18 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- 450 gm Strawberries
- 300 gm raw sugar
- Juice of 1/2 Apple ( check notes)
- 1 tbsp lemon juice
- 1 tsp lemon zest ( optional)
- Wash and sterilize a 500 gm glass jar. Let it completely dry. Set this aside on the counter top.
- Place a stainless steel plate inside the freezer compartment. You will need it at the finishing stages.
- Wash and chop the top of all the berries. ensure that there are no soft spots.
- Roughly chop the fruit. Heat a thick bottomed vessel on low flame. Add the fruit mass.
- When slightly warm add sugar and let it cook on medium flame.Within 5 to 7 minutes you will notice the fruits burst and starts letting its juices.
- Simmer and let it gently bubble until everything becomes a mass and let the sludge slowly condense.
- Meanwhile, peel apple to just get rid off the red skin that has wax coating (Superficial peeling would do. We need the inner white skin).
- Chop and make a smooth paste out of it with 2 tbsp water and pour this into the cooking mixture along with lemon juice and zest.
- Continue to cook until almost 3/4th of the liquid is evaporated and the mixture looks saucy.
- Now this is a tricky phase and take care not to under-cook nor overcook your jam. If you under-cook, you will get a runny jam. If you overdo, you will get a jam that looks like a petroleum jelly.
- Bring the frozen plate outside and place it near you. Drop a small portion of jam on to the cold surface and spread flat like a sheet. When you push it with your index finger, you should be able to see wrinkles.
- If yes, then stop cooking and transfer the hot jam into sterilized jars leaving a head-space of 1 inch above.
- Let it naturally cool. Cover the opening with wax paper or cling wrap and secure the lid. Store it in a cool,dry place and refrigerate it the next day.
- I usually sun dry glass jars post washing and store them in a cool place post drying. This is best suited for jams that are consumed in a short span. There are different ways to sterilize glass jars. You can check here.
- Apples are mainly added as it is very high in natural pectin content that helps the jam set well. Strawberries are poor sources of pectin.