NO BAKE FIG ENERGY BARS
Energy bars play a pivotal role whenever there is an instant need of energy supply. These are great sources of proteins and good fats that can be put to use as breakfast bars by early birds to work, as a post work out meal for exercise freaks, as a back from school snack by kids or teens or as a mid morning/ evening snack at office.
The recipe below uses Figs and a mix of nuts as the major ingredients. Figs are a great sources of soluble fibre, minerals and natural sugars. When used in combination with nuts, it adds on to give an anti-oxidant boost making these energy bars into super foods. Read on now.. and proceed to make your own Nature valley bars !! Preparation time and effort are minimal and tag along your kids for help -- in both making and in eating !!
Preparation time: 10 min
Makes : 16 bars
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 10 g||16 %|
|Saturated Fat 1 g||6 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 4 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 4 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 1 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 3 mg||0 %|
|Potassium 265 mg||8 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 22 g||7 %|
|Dietary Fiber 4 g||15 %|
|Sugars 15 g|
|Protein 4 g||8 %|
|Vitamin A||2 %|
|Vitamin C||1 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- 300 gm Figs (cleaned)
- 100 gm Dates (pitted)
- 100 gm Almonds
- 100 gm Walnuts
- 50 gm Cashew nuts
- 50 gm Pistachio nuts
- 1 tbsp date syrup (optional)
- 1 tsp butter plus a little for greasing your cookie sheet
- a pinch of salt
- Cardmom/ Cinnamon powder/ground caraway/Orange blossom/ Vanilla/ Rose water (Use a dash of whichever u prefer for flavour. Its totally optional)
- Grease a cookie sheet or rectangular pan with butter and set aside.
- In a pan toast the nuts for few min in 1 tsp of butter just to warm and ease them up to secrete their own oils.
- Get the figs and dates ready.
- In a processor pulse the warm nuts in batches.
- Once done add a small quantity of figs and dates (and flavour if you require) and pulse again to bring it together.
- Transfer the contents to another bowl and repeat until you exhaust all the nuts and fruits.
- Add dates syrup at this point. Using a spatula give the contents a thorough mix.
- Spread and press down the contents on to the cookie sheet evenly and cover with a cling film.
- Refrigerate the above mixture for one hour.
- After an hour, bring it out and using a sharp knife, cut precisely into thin or thick bars.
- Wrap each one separately using cling film or parchment and store in an air tight box. Always keep it refrigerated.
- Carry these in your office bag and use it as a mid morning snack, post school snack, pre / post work out snack or as breakfast bars.