LIME CONCENTRATE - ALL TIME COOLANT !!
Lime and Lemon as 'wonder' fruits is no news. It is hard to find anyone who does not like a juice of lime. Just after my recipe on Peach and Blueberry Lemonade, this is my MIL's recipe to enjoy a drink anytime for anyone. Simple to prepare and the joy of having a drink is blissful, as you might agree.
Read on ...
Preparation time: 2 min
Cooking time: 15 min
Cooling time: 20 min + 5 min ( including squeezing lime juice)
Category: Drink/ Concentrate/ Preserve
Difficulty level: Easy
Spice level: Sweet
Makes : 30-35 servings ( approximate)
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 0 g||0 %|
|Saturated Fat 0 g||0 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 0 mg||0 %|
|Sodium 1 mg||0 %|
|Potassium 49 mg||1 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 34 g||11 %|
|Dietary Fiber 1 g||5 %|
|Sugars 29 g|
|Protein 0 g||1 %|
|Vitamin A||0 %|
|Vitamin C||23 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- 25 Medium sized Lime
- 1 Kg Raw Sugar
- 2 dash of Himalayan pink salt
- 3 cups of water (approximately)
- Take a sturdy wide stainless steel vessel and add sugar and water into it. The water level should easily be 1 to 1.5 inches above the sugar level.
- Put this on low medium heat and let the sugar dissolve thoroughly. Add salt and continue to cook until it comes to a rolling boil and the solution turns to a thick syrup. Should roughly take 12 -15 min. Turn off the heat and let it cool. Your simple syrup is ready.
- Meanwhile wash all the lime and pat it dry. When the sugar syrup is cool start cutting one lime at a time and squeeze directly into the syrup.
- Continue until you finish all the lime. When done, stir to make it a uniform mixture. If you prefer you can add 1/4 cup of honey at this stage.
- Transfer the prepared concentrate into a sterilized dry bottle using a funnel. Secure the cap/ cork and store in the refrigerator until use.
- I have already mentioned above that the keeping time is a minimum of three weeks. But ensure to squeeze out the lime only when the sugar syrup cools out completely. As heat destroys Vitamin C, the syrup may turn bitter and unusable.
- Do not put too much pressure while squeezing the lime. It releases bitter oils and that again can make the syrup bitter.
- This concentrate is very versatile. You can use it as a base to make a simple limeade with just cold water and a sprig of mint leaves and soaked basil seeds. You can replace cold water with chilled soda to make Lemon Mojito.
- Prepare some ginger extract and mix it with warm water and add a dash of this lime-ade to get instant relief from a troubled throat.
- Use 2 tsp of the concentrate to coat cut fruit from prevent it from browning.
- Make any fruit popsicle by mixing fruit puree or whole fruit into prepared limeade.
- The options are endless.
- And.... most importantly do not discard the lime peel. Use it to make a homemade scrub for instant beauty or use it for other cleaning purposes.