THAYIR VADAI - DEEP FRIED LENTIL CRISPS IN SEASONED YOGURT SAUCE- Mother's Secret Recipe with steps and tips
There is a belief that movie sequels don t do very well. But its the reverse when it comes to this food sequel. I don t have to name it as the picture says it all.
We are all aware of the fact that Yogurt based dishes are not only filling and comfortable, but also soothing to the tummy. In that order, Thayir Vadais stand next to a bowl of Curd rice in my opinion. Crispy Vadais dunked in a bowl of creamy , thick and seasoned yogurt sauce is always a welcome food and my husband, me and in laws love this dish absolutely. So, get ready and read on. ...
To make the perfect Thayir Vadais , the following are required:
- Crispy and porous Vadais. Click for here for recipe.
- Thick Yogurt ( not sour) that is well seasoned and most importantly should not be leaving out too much whey water when rested. ( Refer notes at the bottom) I have had bad experiences of eating sour Vadais soaked in buttermilk ..... Sad!
Preparaton Time: 30 mins
Cooking time: 15 mins+ 20 mins soaking time
Recipe Level: Medium
Spice Level: Less Spice
Cuisine : South Indian
Yields : 15 to 20
Source : Amma
750 gms of thick Yogurt
Fistful of coconut bits
Fistful of whole cashew nuts
1 inch piece ginger
3 -4 green chilies
1 1/2 tsp mustard seeds
1 tbsp oil
Chopped curry leaves
Chopped coriander leaves
Salt to taste
1 tbsp sugar
Medu Vadais/ Ulundhu Vadais (Click here for the recipe)
- Whisk the yogurt to a smooth thick paste.
- Grind together coconut, cashew nuts, ginger and green chilies to form a smooth paste. Add this to the Yogurt.
- Add salt and sugar. Mix well.
- Heat oil in a pan and add mustard seeds. When they pop, add the chopped curry leaves and saute. add this to the yogurt mixture. Finally add the chopped coriander leaves and combine. Set aside in a wide bowl.
- Prepare Medu vadai/ Ulundhu Vadais as described here. Remember not to brown the Vadai too much. Refer step wise picture 16.
- Drop the Vadais in the yogurt mixture gently and dip them so that they soak well. Keep a tray beside you and keep aligning the soaked Vadais on it as and when you add the fresh lot into the Yogurt sauce. This prevents the Vadai from breaking.
- Once you have finished soaking all, transfer the final batch to the tray and pour any leftover Yogurt mixture on top of the Vadais.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate if using later.
Top it up with some South Indian style Kaara Boondhi and chopped Cilantro and grated carrots or give a North Indian makeover by sprinkling some Chaat chutneys and Sev.
What style do you prefer? Let me know please.
- Yogurt tends to sour quickly after seasoning. So adding salt and sugar prior to seasoning is important.
- Salt and Sugar act as an acidity regulator. They also regulate the rate of fermentation and cut out the sourness.
- Cashew nuts are not generally added to the Yogurt mixture. This adds stability to the mixture and also controls excess whey water release and gives a creamy mouth feel.
- Soak cashew nuts in 1/4 cup of water for 20 mins , prior to grinding.
- Since batter's texture is slightly coarse, the Vadais are porous enough and can be directly added to the yogurt mixture without being dipped in water.