I am bored of telling I love this and I like that. It is evident from the picture below why I made or why I make pasta. It is the most comfortable and an easy meal in no time. Its a bliss to settle down with a plate of piping hot Pasta, cooked al dente and mixed with sauteed veges and sauce of choice,topped with seasonings and cheese. Enough said... I can already smell the Pasta and am off to make some for me and you too can bring yourself some Italian delight !!
I always prefer using Whole meal Pasta as the GI is low and the fiber content is high. I love this version that is slightly tangy and with a hint of sweetness and low on cheese.
Preparation time: 15 min
Cooking time: 15-20 min
Category: Dinner, Supper, Lunch
Spice level: Spicy/ Moderate
Difficulty level: Easy
Serves: 4 - 6
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 16 g||25 %|
|Saturated Fat 4 g||22 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 9 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 1 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 13 mg||4 %|
|Sodium 390 mg||16 %|
|Potassium 99 mg||3 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 32 g||11 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3 g||12 %|
|Sugars 7 g|
|Protein 7 g||14 %|
|Vitamin A||15 %|
|Vitamin C||38 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- 2 cups Whole meal Penne Pasta
- 1 big Onion chopped
- 1 each- Green, yellow and red peppers chopped
- 10 small broccoli florets
- 15-20 button mushrooms washed, cleaned and sliced
- 4 tbsp Traditional Pasta sauce ( fresh or store bought)
- 3 fresh green or red chillies (optional for spice lovers)
- 3 tbsp Olive oil
- 2 tbsp grated cheese (I used mozzarella)
- 1 tsp corn starch (for binding)
- 1 tsp sugar
- a generous dash of Italian seasoning
- a dash of pepper powder/ chilli flakes (optional)
- Salt to taste
- 1 tsp oil
- 2 tsp white vinegar (to rinse mushrooms)
- Boil lots of water in a large vessel with 1 tsp oil and salt. Cook the pasta al-dente / until done yet firm. Drain in a colander and pour 1 cup of cold water on top. Shake off the excess water and set aside to cool completely until use.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil. Saute the onions until translucent. Add the chopped chillies. Throw in the peppers and broccoli. Add salt and sugar and saute well. Cook on medium flame. If you prefer add a dash of pepper powder.
- Meanwhile, wash and clean the button mushrooms under running water to remove dirt. Rinse well in water mixed with 2 tsp vinegar. Drain and set aside or slice if you wish to use them whole. Keep them immersed in water until use.
- When the vegetables are half done add the mushrooms and continue to saute.
- When the vegetables are almost cooked (firm) add the pasta sauce and corn starch and mix well to coat.
- Once thoroughly mixed, add the pasta and gently stir to combine.
- Add Italian seasoning, 1 tbsp olive oil, chilli flakes and finally top up with grated cheese.
- Mix again to combine and turn off the heat. Let it sit on the stove for few minutes. This allows the flavours to seep in.
- Serve hot topped up with more grated cheese and sauce as accompaniment.