One can always relate Summer to holidays, fun and of course cold refreshments. With the increase in humidity and heat, a cool drink , some freshly cut fruit, tender coconut water or ice cream will keep our body and soul cool. Ice cream definitely supplies our body with some good dose of Calcium and Phosphorous and it makes us happy. That said, let us also agree upon the fact that can not always be a healthy option considering the sugar load. So, the need for developing guilt free desserts is the need of the hour.
Today's post is about a natural fruit ice cream pop with no added sugar. I cant ask for more. The sweetness is mainly from Fruit sugars and the main ingredients being Chikoo and Banana. The creamy texture of Bananas and a sweet and malty texture of Chikoo gives a good mouth feel. Both Chickoos and Bananas are good sources of healthy calories, fibre, aids in digestion and supplies potassium for electrolyte balance. And.... they straight away qualify for this treat. Desserts need not necessarily be loaded with Milk concentrates and Sugar. Isn't it? Got some ripe bananas and Chikoos handy? What are you waiting for? Go ahead and make these healthy and guilt free pops. Scroll down for the recipe.
Also check out
While I am very glad to share this recipe with all of you, I would like to thank my friend "Shankari Bhagavathi" of "The 6 Tastes" for her timely help in supporting me to bring out this post. Thanks much buddy.
Preparation Time: 2 min
Freezing Time: 4 hrs
Makes: 3 pops
Level: Very Easy
|Amount Per Serving|
|% Daily Value *|
|Total Fat 1 g||1 %|
|Saturated Fat 0 g||2 %|
|Monounsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Polyunsaturated Fat 0 g|
|Trans Fat 0 g|
|Cholesterol 2 mg||1 %|
|Sodium 13 mg||1 %|
|Potassium 245 mg||7 %|
|Total Carbohydrate 17 g||6 %|
|Dietary Fiber 3 g||11 %|
|Sugars 6 g|
|Protein 1 g||3 %|
|Vitamin A||1 %|
|Vitamin C||11 %|
|* The Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet, so your values may change depending on your calorie needs. The values here may not be 100% accurate because the recipes have not been professionally evaluated nor have they been evaluated by the U.S. FDA.|
- 2 ripe Sapodillas/ Chikoo
- 1 ripe Banana
- 4 tbsp of Fresh/ Whole/ 2% milk or Coconut / Almond milk for Vegan option
- Blend all the above ingredients into a smooth paste and divide equally into Popsicle moulds. Freeze for 4 -6 hours.
- Run the moulds under tap water for few minutes to release the pops. Enjoy!!
- It is best to consume these fresh fruit pops on the very same day you make them.
- If you prefer, add 1 tsp of honey, agave nectar or maple syrup for some extra dose of sugar.
- If you do not have popsicle moulds you can use your ice cube tray or a plain paper cup. Seal the mouth of the paper cup with foil and make a hole in the center. Insert the popsicle stick inside.
- If you use an ice cube tray, seal the top with cling wrap and follow the same.
- Replace fresh milk with coconut milk or any other nut milk of your choice. Use unsweetened milk as the fruits have sufficient sugars.