I have a special place for Italian food in my heart. As kids, team outings to "Pizza Hut" and "Dominos" with siblings and cousins was always fun, "big bites" and "mouthful" of Pizza and Pasta coupled with lots of laughter. This was when Italian outlets started showing up here and there in Metro cities in late 90's.
We Foodies still continue to do it when we happen to be together.
So, having been in love with Pasta and Pizza for long, it did not take many years for me to figure out that preparing the same at home is not "Rocket Science". Yes. I got Enlightened about Food facts and principles soon after I enrolled for a course in Foods and Nutrition ( I should thank my Dad who convinced me to join the program) which was an eye opener for a Foodie like me.
The entire journey of Bachelors, Masters, M Phil followed by the Teaching -Learning experience was something really great that happened to me and it happened for good whatsoever.
Preparing Pasta is such a cake work for me as there are hardly any takers at home. My husband has very limited choice in Italian and my In laws prefer South Indian most of the time.
Hence, I am the happiest person when I have Pasta for lunch or dinner since its going to be I, Me, Pasta and Myself for the simple reason that I don t have to cook for long to make a tasty meal.
There ends the Pasta - Pizza story for now. Without much ado, I am moving on to the recipe.
Preparation Time : 10 mins Cooking time: 10 mins Serves: 1
Spice Level : Moderate/ Spicy Cuisine: Italian
2 Fistful of Whole Meal Spaghetti
2 Medium sized onions julienned
3 small coloured peppers julienned
3 to 4 finely chopped Green chillies
3 flakes of garlic roughly chopped
1 medium size tomato julienned / 1 tbsp of Tomato ketchup
Mixed Italian herbs - Oregano, Thyme and Basil
2 tbsp Shredded Mozzarella cheese - Optional
2 tbsp of Olive Oil
1/2 tsp of butter
Salt to taste
1/2 tsp Sugar
- Soak the Spaghetti for 10 minutes before you start. Meanwhile julienne the Vegetables.
- Boil water with a drop of oil and salt and when it starts rolling add the Spaghetti to it and cook it al dente. Drain the water and set aside.
- Heat Olive oil in a wok and saute the Onions and chillies for 2 minutes. Add a pinch of salt followed by the garlic and saute for 1 more min.
- Now throw in the peppers and increase the flame and cook for 3 to 4 mins. Then add the tomatoes or the sauce.
- Next add salt, sugar, herbs,butter and shredded cheese and toss again.
- Add the Spaghetti and mix well. Check if you want to add more spice, sauce or chillies. Do so now if you prefer.
- Switch off and top with more cheese and herbs if you want to or just omit the cheese step.
- Enjoy the dish piping hot. I love it with Tomato sauce
- Cook the Spaghetti just right. Overdoing will turn it mushy and it might break.
- Spice levels vary for each individual. Please take care while you add chillies as some varieties are really hot and pungent.
- If you don t want the butter, then just add one more tomato + 1 tbsp of sauce to add volume to your pasta.
- If you want a saucy pasta, then add 1/4 cup of water +1/2 tsp of butter after the above mentioned step and simmer . Then add the pasta. Adding Cheese to a saucy pasta is recommended.